SOUTHCOAST WOODTURNERS NEWSLETTER
News of the South Coast Woodturner’s Club
A Chapter of the American Association of Woodturner’s
Our next meeting will be held on: June 13th, 2015 at 9:00am
We meet the second Saturday of each month in the woodshop of the Harding School in Coos Bay. The Harding Building is located below Marshfield High School on 7th Street. Parking is behind the building near the football/track field. Enter the workshop through the door on at the NW corner of the building. Look for our sign on 7th street and near the door to the classroom.
Members, Guests and Prospective members are welcome and encouraged to attend. Meetings begin at 9am and include a club raffle, show and tell, woodturning demo and regular club business. Coffee is also provided. Sometimes there are even cookies (Hint Hint)
Remember several club members have items on exhibit at the Coos Bay Art Musuem. Please try and take a look.
Beginning at 1:00 p.m., after the regular June meeting, Ron Drath will be teaching a Basics Class on spinning tops. Making these tops will give all turners an opportunity to develop and retain basic skills. Just a reminder too, that it is important for all club members to craft tops to sell during the Cranberry Festival.
Speaking of the Cranberry Festival, I am asking all club members to reserve the dates of September 11-13th to help in filling the work slots for our booth. We will need workers to setup on Friday evening, workers to sell and answer questions on Saturday/Sunday, and a take-down crew on Sunday afternoon. Working in the booth is a fun time of talking with the public and other club members.
As a member of the South Coast Woodturners, what would you like to have different? Your club leadership wants to provide the group the best turning experience possible, but we need your help. Please don’t hesitate to offer suggestions and thoughts.
I hope to see you at the June meeting.
Jim’s Program Notes:
Rick Fox will demo making a Natural Edge Bowl out of Alder at our June meeting. I want to thank Steve Knowleton for going out and bringing us a supply of alder for our next meeting. Alder is a really nice green turning wood that will make an attractive bowl for you.
As Ike stated at the last meeting, we are looking for a Vice President for next year. It sure would be nice if one of you volunteered to take that position so that we don’t have to browbeat a member into accepting this responsibility. It’s really a good opportunity for those that are interested in becoming a better turner. Association with some of our out of town guest demonstrators really helped me.
Jim Toftner – 541-271-1915 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out the May meeting notes and Show and Tell below.
As of last month we had $2,369.54
Remember to use your library. It has lots of useful info. If you check something out please be sure to check it out and try to return it at the next meeting.
The list of what we have is on our website. Check it out!!
A group bandsaw blade order will be placed soon. See Kelly for info on pricing. If we have 10 blades shipping is free. There are MANY different options at almost any length.
R. Kelley/SCWT Librarian
We now have hats. $15, they are green bill with Tan top. Items are still available, priced better than most other options.
Are there any ideas as to what we could stock that would sell??
USE IT, USE IT, USE IT!! If you have photos you would like loaded to it, just email the images to Shelley Knapp with a description of the image. If you would like your own area to show off your work, email Shelley a biography of yourself and your turnings.
For Sale: 18″ Craftsman scroll saw. It is on a cabinet stand with 2 drawers and double doors on the bottom. Anyone that would be interested can call Roy Johnson @541-888-9848 for particulars and price.
To sell items or put a notice in the newsletter contact:
Tristan Holland — email email@example.com
See you all Saturday, June 13th, at 9:00am!!
May Meeting Recap –
1) Welcome Sign-in and Show & Tell Welcome remember to sign in.
2) Treasurer’s Report – $2,394
3) Secretary Input – Nothing to add
4) Membership – See Bev for Membership cards
5) Mystery Raffle – Tristan – Sonny K wins Steve K’s myrtlewood bowl
6) Board Meeting 5/2/15
Approved Purchases – Coos Bay Sch, Penn State, Business Cards, First Aid Kit
2017 Oregon Symposium Rep – Jim Toftner
Christmas Party Location – Size is too large for our current location
Upgrading of Equipment – Upgrade lathes to VS and buy a few more
2016. Club Officers – Jim T will be up for President next year. We need a VP. Ron will continue Treasure. Tristan will continue Secretary. Talk with Ike if willing to do VP!!
7) Mentorship List to the Web Site – Are you OK with putting your contact info up on the website. No votes for no. List will go up soon.
8) Wood Gathering – Ron D., Jim T., & Sonny M., Rick F, Kelley, Bev – Cherry – Thanks for collecting!! Ed is going to make a radio announcement on the Radio. Steve K. will get us some green alder for next month
9) Beginning Turning Classes – 29 signed up – 23 Completed
Thank you – Jim T., Ron D., Ed M., Sonny M., Art R., Rick, Linda T, Tristan and others that helped!! Maybe another class in the fall.
10) Basic Turning Projects – Count
Afternoon of meeting May – Bottle Stoppers $4
June – Tops
11) Coos Art Museum 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Please stop by!! A number of members have items shown.
12) Woodworkers Meeting 5/13/15 at 9am – At the boat building center at the bottom of Newmark street.
13) Cranberry Festival Approval – We have been accepted. Look for more info in the coming months. We need LOTS of tops to sell. Last year we sold over 300!!
14) Careers in Wood – Ron Drath & Sonny Meyers, Thanks!!! – Future – Turning Class. May have a class for the kids in the future
15) Library – Kelley – Use it!!
16) Store – Ron Newlander – Fire sale!! Plastic bottles – $0.25 each. Oil for lamp – $3. Forsner bits $5 Cleaning up the store.
17) Future Programs – Jim T. – Next month, Rick fox is doing natural edge bowls. When Joe from woodcraft comes he will bring stuff with him.
18) Library Art Show – Talk with Rick Fox if interested. Rick wants everything at his house by May 20th. We also have the month of Nov.
19) Lunch Plans – Mexican down town
20) Show & Tell – Drawing
22) Wood Raffle
23) Jim Toftner – Program